PE and Sport Premium
The Department of Education is providing all primary schools with additional funding to improve the provision of PE and sport. The funding calculation is based on the number of children at the school.
For 2015-2016, Bishop Gilpin received £9,897 in 2 instalments.
As a school, we decided to spend a large portion of the funds on the continuation of the provision of sports by Fit for Sport, as led by Alec Smail and Louisa Jones. We have worked with Fit for Sport to provide PE tuition for Bishop Gilpin since 2010, but the increased funding has enabled Bishop Gilpin to extend this provision further. This has included for this year:
- Continuing to provide excellent training for football and netball, which has fed through to improved results in matches against other schools;
- Expert sports coaching in a range of sports, which has had a positive impact on the school’s recent performance results;
- Lunchtime football tournaments to give all children the opportunity of participating in competitions;
- Increased pupil awareness of the importance of sport in achieving a healthy lifestyle.
We have also been able to use the funding to continue to invest in sports equipment at the school. We also continue our membership of the Merton School Sports Partnership, as referred to above.
The main activities that have proved to increase the pupil participation are:
- Table Tennis
We are proud to announce that Bishop Gilpin won the Surrey County Competition and the South East England Competition.
The Girls Challenge Run Team secured the 3rd place in Merton Borough competition.
the Hockey Team won the 2nd place in the Merton Borough competition and year 3 and 4 Tag Rugby Team placed 1st in Wimbledon.
Year 5 and 6 Tag Rugby Team placed 1st in Wimbledon and 2nd in Merton competitions.
Other successful sports competitions that took place this year are:
- 5/6 Boys Challenge Run
- 5/6 Girls Cricket Finals
- 3/4 Tennis Finals
- 5/6 Basketball Finals
- 5/6 rounders Finals
- Youth Games Tennis (BG are Pan-London Champions in Europe's largest annual youth sporting event)
- Youth Games Best Team Football (BG are Pan-London Champions in Europe's largest annual youth sporting event)